This is my (first?) synthesizer... an Arturia MicroBrute. This this the page where I post all the noise I've made with her. Except where otherwise noted, music came from the synth output right to the computer. Tracks were synced and mixed using either Audacity or Reaper, though all the fades and cool sound effects came directly from the synth.
Anything below this point is treading waters... (note that there's nothing above this line yet).
17 June, 2018:
Angie's birthday is in less than a month. Figured I'd try this
out. Took about ten minutes (plus distractions) to learn.
14 June, 2018: Somebody just had to tell me that an
analog synth sounds like the sound chip from an NES. They just
had to. So, after hours of practice, I finally made
a passable attempt at ths. No hyperbole.... about four
hours of practive and retakes for 24 seconds of music.
There may be more practice
and another attempt here in the future. It's a fun tune to play.
3 June, 2018: So, I grew up listening to a lot of Irish
music. I wanted to practice some sheet music but forgot
my earbuds, so I had to use the synth as a MIDI controller
for this one. There are two tracks: an "ambient strings"
track for the background, and a basic piano track for
the melody. I'm not unhappy with it.
1 June, 2018: I've had this theme in my head before. In fact, I think any time I've tried composing music before purchasing a synthesizer, this has come up... so it's good to get these 14 seconds over with right now... Warbly background is courtesy of the sequencer running at a -1 octave with some cool filter work for the quiet part. The lead isn't anything special, though it is a sound I like.
I've moved over to Reaper primarily as my DAW. It
seems easy enough to use and may get me into MIDI.
25 May, 2018: Darth Vader's theme has a lot of flats... so, I only fought my way through two bars. I think I was playing with the filters correctly to get a badass cross-fade between the two tunes... Also, it's fun cranking all the knobs up (the "metalizer" and "brute factor" especially) to get the badass bass. LFO was also used on the two fades.
My tempo still sucks. If I practiced a few more hours, things would've turned out better. We're still early in this musical adventure, though. I'm sure I'll visit this one again.
Also still working on input levels. I'm clearly recording
more loudly than my mic input likes.
25 May, 2018:
I found ramping the messing with square and triangle
waves with some filtering and upping the attack a little
can make a kind of light, windy melodica kind of sound,
and messing with decay and sawtooth waves, some pretty
cool accents can be made. I wrote two little melodies
here and stuck it all together. I'm not happy with
how it turned out, but it's a dose more complicated
than the previous... Rather regrettably, no sequencer
was used here, and my tempo jumps around.
23 May, 2018:
The first "piece" I composed was 6 seconds long and, due to
my lack of faith in myself, I used the sequencer exclusively
for both tracks. It's a cross between video-gamey and jingly...